By: Mighty Media
Reprinted with permission from grocery.coop
Total Time: 35 minutes
Servings: 12 muffins
These whole wheat farm animal muffins make a great afternoon or party snack for kids!
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 cup butter
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
4 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 green apples, finely diced
red apple (or peach)
natural red and black licorice
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Put paper liners in the muffin tin cups.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon.
3. In a separate bowl, beat together the butter, egg, milk, applesauce, oil, and vanilla.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined. Gently stir in the diced apples.
5. Spoon the batter into the muffin tin cups. Fill them about two-thirds full. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool.
1. Farm Animal Muffins preparationCut a small oval from the skin of the red apple for the nose. Cut two very small cubes from the apple for eyes. Place them on the muffin.
2. Cut two slivers from the raisins for nostrils. Put them on top of the nose.
3. Cut two small triangles out of the dried mango for the ears. Stick the ears between the muffin and the paper liner.
1. Cut a small triangle out of the dried mango for the beak. Put it in the center of the muffin.
2. Cut a raisin in half. Put them above the beak for the eyes.
3. Take a 1-inch piece of red licorice and cut it lengthwise into six thin strips. Use a toothpick to make six holes above the eyes. Stick a licorice strip into each hole.
1. Put a dried cranberry in the center of the muffin for the nose.
2. Take a 1-inch piece of black licorice and cut it lengthwise into six thin strips. Arrange the licorice strips around the nose for whiskers.
3. Cut a blueberry in half. Put the blueberry halves above the nose for eyes.
4. Cut two triangles from the outer edge of the apple for ears. Stick the ears between the muffin and the paper liner.
172 calories, 6 g. fat, 28 mg. cholesterol, 206 mg. sodium, 27 g. carbohydrate, 2 g. fiber, 3 g. protein