Reprinted with permission from grocery.coop
Total Time: 40 minutes, 25 minutes active
Steak is a popular and quick weeknight meal, and it only needs a simple marinade to elevate the flavor. This grape relish really pops, with juicy, sweet grapes and tangy blue cheese providing a lively companion for the beef.
1 pound top sirloin steak
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
Freshly cracked black pepper
2 cups red grapes, halved vertically
1/4 cup chopped scallions
1/4 cup blue cheese, crumbled
1. Preheat the grill or a broiler to medium-high heat.
2. Place the steak in a casserole or shallow dish. In a cup, whisk the balsamic vinegar, olive oil and salt, and reserve two tablespoons for serving, then pour the remaining mixture over the steak. Turn the steak to coat. Let stand for 10 minutes.
3. For the relish, place halved grapes in a large bowl with the scallions and blue cheese. Reserve.
4. To cook the steak, remove it from the marinade and let the excess drip off, then discard the marinade. Sprinkle the steak with freshly cracked black pepper.
5. Grill the steak over a medium-high fire or broil for four to seven minutes on each side. Use an instant-read thermometer to make sure the center of the steak reaches 130 F for medium-rare, 140 F for medium or 145 F for medium-well.
6. When the steak is cooked, transfer it to a cutting board and let stand for two to three minutes before slicing. Use a sharp knife to cut it into thin slices, and serve drizzled with the two tablespoons of reserved marinade and grape relish.
Serve with an arugula side salad and grilled asparagus.
340 calories, 21 g. fat, 80 mg. cholesterol, 460 mg. sodium, 14 g. carbohydrate, 1 g. fiber, 24 g. protein